X
  • Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Re: La Liga

Córdoba admits uncertainty over his Espanyol future

Espanyol striker Jhon Córdoba is currently on-loan from Mexican side Jaguares de Chiapas, but whilst the Catalan club haven’t moved to exercise their option to buy clause, he admits that his future isn’t yet clear.

Jhon Córdoba made his somewhat protracted move from Mexican outfit Jaguares, late in the summer transfer window, as Espanyol sought to strengthen their forward line. As part of the loan move, the Catalan club reserved the option to make their move for the Colombian striker permanent, though at a reported cost of around €4 million.

Given the delicate financial situation at Espanyol, that could prove a stumbling block, given it’s a much larger fee than they would likely be prepared to pay, for a striker who has produced a return of only 3 goals in 23 matches for Los Pericos. As such, it seems they’re reluctant to make a decision yet, as to whether they will make a bid to keep him at the club beyond the end of his loan contract.

The 20-year-old himself admitted during a press call on Thursday, that this leaves him in a position of some considerable uncertainty, as to where he’ll be playing next season, but nonetheless, he remains keen to further his options of staying at Espanyol, during the final ten games of the current campaign.

“There haven’t been any moves yet, but I’m just trying to do my job. The aim is that this matter doesn’t drag out, although I would like to be in a settled position, before the season finishes.”

Turning his personal situation aside though, Córdoba insists that all he’s really focused on right now, is this weekend’s clash with Levante at the Cornellà-El Prat.

“They’re a complicated opponent, who know exactly how to play their game. We do too though and we’ll be trying to beat them.”

As for his role in the team and chances in the starting eleven, Córdoba suggested that his is “calm and it’s just a case of waiting on what the manager decides.”

Comentario

Cejudo: Three weeks ago everything was rose-tinted, but now it’s ugly again

Osasuna midfielder Álvaro Cejudo has admitted that after his team looked headed for the safety line in La Liga, particularly following their convincing 3-0 win against Atlético Madrid, three consecutive defeats and particularly the thrashing at Barcelona, have made things look bleak again.

Speaking at a press call on Thursday, Álvaro Cejudo lamented that after such a good run of form, progress seems to have ground to a halt, following three straight defeats which leave his team just three points above the relegation zone.

“Three weeks ago everything was rose-tinted, but now it’s ugly again. It seems like this is what we’re made for. It’s always been obvious that the teams behind us would tighten things up and that’s what’s happened. Obviously there’s still time for us to change things, but we can’t let anything else slip.”

As well as those three defeats, Osasuna have failed to score a single goal, which Cejudo admitted is a concern for his team.

“We have to be aggressive when we’re finishing our moves. That’s where we must improve the most.”

Osasuna are perennial battlers in La Liga and this season seems no different. Cejudo feels confident however, that as always, the fans at El Sadar will keep backing the team towards securing their place in the Spanish top-flight, once again.

“Every season it’s the same. We’re aware of who we are as a club and in these final games, our fans give us a great plus.”

Cejudo reached his 100th game for Osasuna last weekend, although he would have wished it to be in much better circumstances, rather than the 7-0 drubbing at Barcelona. However, he remains pleased that he’s managed to reach such a landmark with the Pamplona club.

“The real shame is how things turned out, but I’m very proud and happy to have reached this number of games. Hopefully there will be many more to come and that they go much better. Right now though, more than my own situation, my concern is that the team can achieve permanence in La Liga.”

Comentario

Simeone: I’d like Courtois to stay, he knows that

Atletico Madrid manager, Diego Simeone recently admitted that he’d like goalkeeper, Thibaut Courtois to stay at the club but knows it’ll be difficult.

In an interview with Radio Marca’s ‘Intermedio’ programme, Simeone spoke about a variety of different topics surrounding the club, starting off with the Champions League draw and which opponent he’d like to face.

“They are all very good, footballing VIP’s, the best in the world.”

Simeone then discussed various managers, past and present, which he had plenty to say about.

“I like Mourinho because he plays to win.

“Guardiola? I loved last year’s Bayern. I only like the 2013-14 team. I prefer direct, more intense play.

“Aragones? I know exactly what we have to do between now and the end… win, win, win and win again.

“The manager always favours the player who best interprets the team’s needs. Not the best.”

Simeone went on to give his thoughts on two of Atletico Madrid’s biggest stars, goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois and striker Diego Costa.

“Goalkeeping is very important for every team. I’d like Courtois to stay, he knows that.

“Costa’s going to provide the biggest boost to the Spanish team in Brazil. There’s no one like him.”

Simeone went on to praise the fans and the incredible burst of energy they give to the team.

“People don’t realize the boost they give us when things are tight like they were against Milan. It’s like having another player; we always want them to be like that.”

Simeone concluded by stating that form means nothing in this weekend’s Clasico and that it’s all in the preparation.

“It doesn’t matter what shape Real Madrid and Barcelona are in before the ‘Clasico’. The winning team will be the one that prepares best in the hours leading up to it.”

Comentario

Diego Lopez: Iker never showed me a lack of respect

Real Madrid goalkeeper, Diego Lopez gave an in-depth interview ahead of Sunday’s ‘El Clasico’ and discussed his relationship with fellow goalkeeper, Iker Casillas, his failed stint in Sevilla and the challenges of the season.

Speaking with Cadena SER’s ‘El Larguero’, Lopez went through a gauntlet of topics relating to his past year at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Respect: “I don’t think I’ve changed since I arrived at Real Madrid, I’m the same, I try to be the same. I’m not hurt nor do I feel attacked, I respect the work of the press, I don’t think I’ve been treated unfairly.”

Press: “I don’t feel as if I’ve been challenged, since I’ve arrived back at Real Madrid I’ve felt very loved, I’m very happy. I don’t feel that the press has been treated unfairly by the press. I have live with the criticism and the praise.”

The Fans: “I assume that they’re judging my performance, this is Madrid and it’s a very difficult position.”

Barcelona: “El Clasico is here, these are games meant to be enjoyed, to live them and win them. I haven’t been through a situation with Messi lining up for a penalty in the Bernabeu and I hope it doesn’t happen this Sunday.”

Happy: “My family is very happy. I have a fantastic family; it’s one of my greatest strengths. My wife supports me in everything. I came to Madrid when the opportunity arose, I knew it would be difficult to be the starter but it was an opportunity.”

Sevilla: “I wasn’t well in Sevilla, I feel sorry for the fans, I went there to give my all, I killed myself in training and tried to succeed there. I came to Sevilla psychologically down after Villarreal was relegation and I don’t think it was the right fit.”

Ancelotti: “I don’t think he’s done anything to offend anyone in the press. Ancelotti tells me I’m going to play in La Liga the day of the game. I don’t expect to play or not play. I knew it would be difficult to be the starter but I’m confident in my abilities, I knew I had to give my all and work hard.”

Casillas: “I have a good relationship with Iker, the things between us change with age but not because anything in particular has happened. I respect and admire Iker, I’ve always admired him. Iker has never shown me a lack of respect nor I to him. We have a cordial, natural relationship. What I see in both Iker and myself is the love from the fans, the Madridismo. This is what I lacked in Sevilla. I can’t say a single thing against Iker, because it wouldn’t be true.”

Atletico: “I have my share of the responsibility with Gabi’s goal at the Calderon and I accept it.”

Champions League: “If we reach the final of the Champions League and the manager decides to play Iker in La Liga matches, I’ll accept it.”

El Clasico: “We won’t show Barca a lack of respect, we know the talent and quality they have. Sunday will be difficult.”

Challege: “My idea is to continue at Real Madrid, it’s a great challenge for me. There’s no better club in the world than Real Madrid.”

Media: “I’m neither distant nor different, I’m the same. Maybe it’s because I lost the daily contact. I’ve never turned down a chance to speak with the media and I’ve always spoken like I am now today, how I feel.”

Dressing Room: “The situation in the dressing room is different from before. Ancelotti knows how to handle the dressing room, he’s a great person, natural and very intelligent.”

Ambitious: “I didn’t sign on to be a substitute, I signed on to compete and fight for my spot. I am confident in myself and my abilities, I’m very excited to continue being a Real Madrid player.”

Normality: “Iker was one of the best in the world. I don’t mind if you ask me about Iker. I know what he represents for Real Madrid and the country, it’s normal. Iker and I live through this situation with normalcy; we have a lot of respect for each other.”

Calderon: “I don’t think the failure at the Calderon has lowered my confidence. Apart from that play I was happy with the performance.”

National team: “Right now it’s very difficult to get on the national team; the three that are there deserve to be.”

Mourinho: “I am grateful to Mourinho because he made me believe in my abilities.”

Comentario

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres open to Atletico Madrid return

Fernando Torres: Chelsea striker would like to work with Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone

Fernando Torres admits he would like to work under former team-mate Diego Simeone at Atletico Madrid and is unsure over his long-term future at Chelsea.

The Blues have been linked with a move for Atletico striker Diego Costa with manager Jose Mourinho concerned about the lack of goals in his side.

Mourinho was secretly recorded by French television station Canal+ saying that "the problem is we lack a scorer" and has targeted Costa, who has a £32m release clause in his contract.

Torres has two years left to run on his Stamford Bridge deal and hinted he would be receptive to a return to Atletico, where he played alongside current manager Simeone for two seasons.

When asked in Spain if he would return to Madrid, Torres told AS: "In football you never know. You can't be sure where you're going to be tomorrow or in a week or in 10 years.

Player Profile

9. Fernando Torres

Appearances 21 (12)
            Goals 12
            Assists 4
            Yellows 2
            Reds 1

"I have a lot of admiration for Cholo (Simeone) from when we were team-mates. He helped me a lot and taught me to be captain. He taught me many things in our seasons together at Atleti.

"I always want to work alongside people I admire. I admired from the outside Rafael Benitez and had the opportunity to work with him. It was the same with Jose Mourinho and Luis Aragones.

"I have been fortunate to work with people who you say from the outside 'What do they have? What is their secret? Why do all their teams win?' Simeone is like (Pep) Guardiola or other coaches. You'd get to see how they train.

"The twists and turns of life are unknown. I don't have to meet Simeone either here (at Chelsea) or with Atleti. Who would have said I would work with Benitez at two English teams?"

Torres commanded a British record fee of £50m when Chelsea bought him from Liverpool three years ago and despite only scoring 43 times in 161 games, the striker is pleased with his contribution to the team's trophy haul in that time.

"If a club pays £50m for you, certain things are expected and, if things go badly, the criticism is much heavier and the reactions are much more extreme," said the 30-year-old.

"If things go well, that's seen as normal, because you're expected to score. The Chelsea fans understand that completely.

"In two-and-a-half seasons, I've won a Champions League, an FA Cup and a Europa League, and I still have years remaining at Chelsea in which to keep on winning more trophies."

Comentario

Rayo Vallecano and the great escape

Rayo Vallecano have somehow managed to turn things around of late, having floundered in the midst of the relegation battle in La Liga, for much of the season. Ameen Rabbani takes a look at the recent form, that has given the fans at Vallecas plenty of reason to believe: “Yes we can!”

This would be the mother of all escapes…

A month ago Rayo Vallecano visited the Camp Nou to face a Barcelona side that weren’t performing to their usual high standards. Paco Jemez travelled to the home of the champions with his boys sitting doomed in 19th place, but one thing was for sure, he wasn’t going there with the intention of ‘parking the bus’, he doesn’t know the meaning of the phrase. Instead he was going there, perhaps more out of hope than expectation, that the little team from the capital would courageously go toe-to-toe with the big brother they aspire to be. In the end they were smashed for six. But nothing was going to change. “Any club that signs me knows what it’s getting” is what Jemez has always maintained.

In truth nothing did, Rayo were again brave, effective but once again the losing team the following week against Sevilla, however the home support showed their gratitude to the players for the thrilling football they provided, chanting and giving their team a standing ovation at full-time.

This has been the story for some time during the course of the season. Rayo Vallecano, the small Kamikaze outfit of Madrid overshadowed by the rest with a vision that could only lead to destruction, taking the game to their opponents, enjoying more possession, playing an attractive one-touch passing game that very few sides in their predicament would even dare and creating chances, but the frailties in defence have almost always been their undoing as teams would put three, four, five or six goals past them.

Rayo were in the bottom three, 19th precisely, for 11 consecutive weeks, only because Real Betis’s poor campaign has seen them rooted to the bottom of the table. They have conceded 62 goals- the most in the league including six to Barça, five to Atletico and Villarreal, four to Espanyol, Malaga and Sevilla, and three to Real Madrid, Osasuna and Valladolid. They have lost 17 out of 28 games, including six on the bounce after the opening day victory over Elche.

The stats are terrifying and to some it may seem astonishing that Rayo are still in with a chance of surviving the dreaded trap door to the Segunda. In many games, especially at home, they play so high up the pitch that teams only need one defence splitting pass to open them up and are often punished on the counter attack. The spine of the team has, for large parts of the season, been too soft, even non-existent as teams attack so easily through the centre of the pitch, at times you could probably drive a bus through the heart of this Rayo team it’s that ridiculously open.

Playing out from the back with defenders still uncomfortable when being pressed has also been a source for the goals conceded. The balance within the squad causes problems, even with the emphasis on forward-thinking play the number of attackers heavily outweigh the defenders or ‘defensively minded’ players offering less protection in certain areas of the pitch.

Despite that, notice they ’were’ in the relegation zone for 11 weeks straight. Finally the intricate, attacking football has been rewarded with results that up until the weekend offered mere glimpses of hope. A win at home to a stabilised Valencia was followed by a terrific 3-2 win at the Anoeta against Real Sociedad. And on Saturday it was 18th placed Almeria who made the trip to Vallecas.

As Sid Lowe points out this was “a relegation seven pointer: the three points you could win, the three points you could stop them winning, and the chance to secure a head-to-head advantage, decisive if the sides finish level.”

With the stadium packed and confidence high, Rayo were ready for their performance of the season. Never have I seen a Rayo team since their return to the Primera play with such purpose and intensity as they did at the weekend, they completely destroyed their lowly counterparts. Iago Falque and Ruben Rochina on the flanks were sharp, tricky and too quick for the full-backs while striker Joaquin Larrivey was immense all game causing nothing but havoc. Alberto Bueno headed Rayo in front from a Falque corner, the winger then turned past the challenges to lay the ball perfectly for Larrivey to convert, 2-0. They went in search for the third, Larrivey, Jonathan Viera, Falque all wasted chances, but Soriano didn’t as Almeria were given a lifeline, 2-1. Of course there were the customary jitters but the Rayo of late have been stronger, more concentrated and have learnt from experience. Then they did what they know best, pass pass pass and now score. The third was beautiful, some neat interplay around the edge of the box quickened, Trashorras slid through Viera who squared for Larrivey to tap-in.

Full-time and Rayo were out of the relegation zone. Vallecas went crazy. Jemez has said in the past that the brand of football Rayo choose to play is for the fans, “At times of crisis, people spend money to see us play: we’ve got a responsibility to play nice football, otherwise what the hell are they spending their money for?” Importantly for them everything came together this weekend, Rayo propelled to 16th and did so in their way, the Paco Jemez way with a full house behind them. This togetherness shouldn’t be underestimated when analysing their survival credentials, no other side around them has the same charisma or bond with the fans, manager and players.

The song, ‘The Final Countdown’, blasts from the stadium speakers when Rayo score at home, and for many when the consolation goals were scored against Atletico, Espanyol or Villarreal, it must have felt like they were counting down the days to relegation. Now Vallecas believes. Together, Rayo Vallecano could just make the great escape…

Comentario

Drama continues as Valencia sale process nears submission deadline

The sale of Valencia rumbles onwards, with the final bids set to meet approval or rejection, yet the wrangling behind the scenes continues. Hans Kristian Lange explains the actions of the latest movers and shakers, the power struggle at the centre of it all and the criteria outlined by VCF and the Foundation, that all should adhere to.

Ever since the club was obliged by the Spanish government to become a SAD, a kind of sports corporation, Valencia has time and again been plagued by social unrest. It all started with the actual debate on whether to refuse the SAD format or not. Where Barcelona, Real Madrid and Athletic Bilbao succeeded, Valencia failed. Some years later the brother of Villarreal president Fernando Roig, Paco, was chosen as president with his “For a champion Valencia” through the vote of minority stakeholders. After securing control of the club as majority stakeholder, he proceeded to win several social battles. He later left the club after the crowds at Mestalla sentenced him, though remaining the majority shareholder. At this point Pedro Cortés entered, bringing with him to the top among others, Manuel Llorente. This was the golden era with the two Champions League finals, two championships and a UEFA cup.

Paco Roig was never afraid to speak his mind, and thus made enemies especially in Generalitat Valenciana. In the name of public interest, and with a view of the team as an opportunity for business, the politicians intervened and started a search for a local investor who could push Roig off the map. This is where the name of Bautista Soler appeared as the ultimate solution. The constructor had made a fortune during the golden financial years with constant growth in Spain. After heavy political pressure, Roig succumbed and sold his approximately 30% of the club, not to Bautista, but to his son Juan Bautista. The club continued it’s free spending ways and the plans of a 5-star stadium was presented. The rest of the story, you already knew. The market in Spain collapsed, so did Soler’s plans and the club was left owing so much money it was on the brink of bankruptcy. Enter Villalonga, Soriano, Dalport and the issuing of shares, resulting in the Fundación scheme, which saved the club, but also doomed it to be sold.

So how is this sale really going? Well, if you have followed our previous articles you know that there are four main characters and a couple of supporting actors in the play. On one side, Bankia wanting as much of their money back as possible. On the other side the current Valencia CF leadership whose motives are a bit unclear to me, but which are somewhere between wanting the best for the club and themselves. With 70% of the shares in Fundacións possession, the club’s leadership is relatively powerless in the process. Because of the scheme back in 2009, the club’s social arm has ended up being the crucial counterpart for Bankia. The last main character, Generalitat Valenciana is trying to avoid as much damage as possible from their very own Frankenstein creation, and why not try to get a positive spin on it?

The last weeks have been relatively quiet ones, something natural considering the deadline of April 1st to submit offers. This week however has seen two main news stories. Firstly, it was leaked late last week that Amadeo Salvo and Valencia had discovered that key data from the virtual data room available to potential buyers had been provided to the local press. The club announced through it’s own website that they would start the hunt for the entity responsible. Through more unofficial channels it was revealed one of the favourite bids were responsible.

On Thursday, several news agencies ran the story that the council managing the sale process had excluded one of the potential buyers from the sale process. The decision was taken after it was revealed who had leaked the information, and a debate among the council participants representing Bankia, GV, Valencia and the Fundación. The decision, a swift and strict one, is said to have taken the bid managers by surprise. Having been one of Bankia’s preferred, it suddenly found itself on the outside. The bid managers immediately started to investigate whether they could be re-admitted into the process. With TPG out, the Arab bid said to be supported by Amadeo Carboni, gains further strength.

Another old acquaintance is being named as the recognizable face of one of the potential Arab bids, namely Vicente Soriano who was the second largest shareholder under the reign of Juan Soler. He came into the club with Paco Roig, was vice president under Soler, brought in Dalport and even falsely proclaimed in a shareholder meeting he had sold the old Mestalla real estate. “Está tot embastat” (it is all done) are words still used for mocking in Valencia. You could ask; what positive would being associated with such a character be for a buyer?

Amadeo Salvo’s unbreakable will to deliver on his promise of an open and transparent leadership of the club has lead to the second big news of the week; the release of what the club and Fundación (or at least Amadeo Salvo and Aurelio Martinez) say is the criteria for selecting the best bid. In my opinion, the line between transparency and too open is a fine one. And Salvo might just have overstepped that line. In a sale process in the business world, you would often not finalize such criteria until the time of opening the bids, let alone making them publicly known, not at that point, nor ever.

I see two main issues with this list of evaluation criteria. Firstly it somewhat resembles more a list of demands to conform a buyer to the plans the current leadership at the club has made, than evaluation criteria. Is it reasonable to demand that Fundación will continue to exist with it’s current set up? A plan for a museum? Do the plans seem good for the club? Are they made with good intentions, from a desire to ensure that a buyer does not take advantage of the club? Yes, and yes. However, they also say too much about the how and not enough about the what and why. Secondly, these criteria are Valencia and Fundación’s. They are not Generalitat Valenciana’s and they are not Bankia’s. So, how then will the evaluation really be? No-one knows.

One thing is certain in this process; there is not one of the four involved institutions who fully trust any of the other three. This is apparent in both the official statements and other information reaching us. It is like a four-way game of Risk, where each has their goals and motives unknown to the others, secretly manoeuvring to gain control of the desired areas. That Salvo has no trust in Bankia and vice versa is no secret, and I am certain the bank will be less than happy with the publication of criteria. That the relationship between Salvo and Generalitat Valenciana was severly damaged by his rally at Mestalla, should be no surprise. Salvo himself is said to distrust Generalitat Valenciana, believing they have hidden interests and that they are secretly meeting with some of the buyers to discuss the wider possibilities of investment in the region. It will all be decided in the shadows.

Here are the criteria that Valencia and Fundación published:

A. FINANCIAL PROPOSAL:

1. Return all of the loans of the Foundation and pay back the
                Generalitat.

2. Capital increase and debt reduction of Valencia CF SAD to clean up the balance sheet and
                strengthen the institution.

3. Commitment to finish the stadium, as agreed with architect Mark Fenwick
                understood as a minimum, and close commitments with the City (including the swap of
                land and associated sports area).

4 The new stadium and sports complex of Paternal MUST remain in the ownership of
                Valencia CF SAD.

5. The Valencia CF SAD should have a right to use the old Mestalla until the
                New stadium is completed and the appropriate licenses to be used by
                Club in official competitions are acquired.

6. The assets of the Club or the value that could be obtained from them must remain
                in the Club, to preserve the heritage of it and protect small shareholders, as well as the other subscribers partners. The result of any sale of assets must be required and exclusively allocated to the recapitalization of Valencia CF SAD.

7. The Selected Investor guarantee the patrimonial and financial equilibrium of Valencia CF SAD during the next 5 years to the acquisition of the Club.

8. In general terms the deals will be prioritized based on flexibility and terms offered for the sale transaction.

9. The bidder shall be bound not to sell the Club or lose it’s position as majority shareholder for a minimum period of 5 years, with the aim of providing social stability in the medium term.

10. In the event of a future sale of the Club having previously passed the time period specified above, the bidder shall be bound to disclose their desire to sell before starting the process, so that the valencianismo and Valencian society have the opportunity to form a purchase proposal.

B. SOCIAL AREA:

1. Safeguarding the function of the Foundation.

2. Presence of small shareholder in the project. Specifically value of political rights of minority shareholders and the conservation of the right to preemptive acquisition.

3. The existence of a proposed museum and associated documentation.

4. Potentiation image of Valencia CF in the world.

5. The role of schools of the Foundation as well as international soccer potentiation,
                Women’s sports and other areas.

6. The bidder shall be bound to that brand VCF Valencia CF Foundation and MUST always be associated with the city of Valencia. Similarly should be bound to the operational basis of Valencia CF may not be located outside the city of Valencia and its metropolitan area. The federal license shall be linked to the Territorial Federation of Valencia, in Valencia,

C. PROJECT SPORT:

1. Recapitalization plan first team sport for the next two seasons and
                investment guarantee for signings.

2. Strengthening School football and the youth squad through the Foundation.

3. Plan to improve the sports facilities of the Club.

4. Marketing Plan that drives value growth Club: Valencia Brand reach internationally, uptake of sponsorship, merchandising, technical sponsor, commercial exploitation of the stadium, positioning social networks, etc..

To ensure compliance with the conditions of the selected inverter, the Foundation and the Club are studying the best way to establish the necessary guarantees, (statutory changes, indemnification clauses, or other) for the VCF and Valencia CF Foundation if noncompliance.

Comentario

Roberto Martinez rumoured to be ideal replacement for Tata Martino at Barcelona

Everton manager, Roberto Martinez has been one of the leading candidates rumoured to take over as manager of Barcelona, should current manager Tata Martino leave at the end of the season.

MartinezAccording to English newspaper, The Mail, Martinez success with Wigan and Everton have made him one of the top managers in English football, but the fact that he is from Balaguer (a Catalan town in the province of Lleida) makes him that much more appealing.

Martinez was one of the leading candidates to take over for former manager, Tata Martino, but reportedly turned down the Blaugrana as he had just made a commitment to Everton weeks before.

However, Barcelona are said to be looking at a long-term coach, something they haven’t had since Pep Guardiola left the bench two years ago.

Martinez has been a major supporter of Barcelona winger, Gerard Deulofeu, who is on loan at Everton and has been said to be interested in bringing in other Barcelona players next season, that is if he isn’t already the manager of Barcelona.

Comentario

Victor Valdes: Spain & Barcelona keeper out for seven months

Spain and Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes will be out for seven months after undergoing successful knee surgery.

The 32-year-old will miss this summer's World Cup after suffering anterior cruciate ligament damage in last week's 3-0 win over Celta Vigo.

Valdes had surgery in Germany on Monday, with Barcelona confirming he would be out until at least October.

He is leaving the Catalan club when his contract ends this summer.

Spain's alternatives

•Iker Casillas - Real Madrid 2013-14 appearances: 18; Spain apps: nine
                    •Pepe Reina - Napoli 2013-14 apps: 35; Spain apps: two
                    •David De Gea - Manchester United 2013-14 apps: 45; Spain U21s apps: five

"The knee's internal cartilage has been sewn up and the operation was concluded successfully," read a Barcelona statement

Valdes, who announced his intention to leave Barcelona last summer, has made 535 appearances since making his debut over a decade ago.

He has won six La Liga titles, three Champions League crowns and two Copa del Reys in his time at the club.

Valdes was also part of the Spain squad that won the 2010 World Cup and 2012 European Championships.

His absence means Iker Casillas of Real Madrid and Napoli's Pepe Reina will likely compete for the number one spot at the World Cup in Brazil.

Manchester United's David De Gea is also in contention for the squad.

Comentario

Diego Costa injury not as serious as feared

Atlético Madrid thought they might have a real problem on their hands, when Diego Costa had to be replaced in the 29th minute of the clash against Barcelona on Tuesday night, but further tests have shown that he could be set to return very soon.

Diego Costa limps off, whilst Diego Ribas replaced him for Atlético Madrid

Diego Simeone opted to take a calculated risk, by playing Diego Costa in the Champions League first-leg clash against Barcelona on Tuesday night. Discomfort ahead of the game didn’t seem to impede him in his typically physical approach to the game, but one knock too many took its toll and after just half an hour played, he had to be replaced.

As fate would have it though, it was another ‘Diego’ who stole the headlines. Replacing Diego Costa for the remainder of the game was Diego Ribas, who scored an absolute pearl of a goal to give Atlético the lead. Ultimately though, Barca hauled their way back into the game with a goal from Neymar.

Upon returning to the Spanish capital on Wednesday, Diego Costa visited the FREMAP Clinic to undergo further tests, having at first feared that he may have suffered a hamstring tear. Fortunately for Atlético, the news is much more positive. The striker has suffered a painful strain in the back of his left thigh, but there were no signs of any tears or further damage to the muscles.

As such, though Diego Costa will certainly be out of this weekend’s La Liga encounter with Villarreal, he should be just about ready to return against Barcelona in the second-leg of their titanic European contest, at the Vicente Calderón.

Comentario

Athletic Club Bilbao rumored to be interested in Osasuna’s Roberto Torres

With European competition nearly a certainty for Athletic Club next season, the club will be looking to reinforce the squad and are rumored to be monitoring the situation of Osasuna attacker Roberto Torres.

Roberto Torres OsasunaIt has been a season of major improvement for Athletic Club Bilbao, who after finishing 12th on the La Liga table last campaign, now find themselves leading the race for fourth place and the last Champions League spot in Spain.

With some form European play almost guaranteed for the Basques next season, Ernesto Valverde will be looking to reinforce his squad in order to be able to contend on all fronts and recent rumors suggest he is already zeroing in and summer targets.

According to several reports from the Basque Country, named Navarra, Osasuna attacking midfielder Roberto Torres is being tracked by Athletic Club Bilbao who could likely make a push for the 25-year-old when the summer transfer window opens.

Torres currently has a contract with Osasuna until 2016 that includes a €12 million buy-out clause, however if the Navarran club faces relegation, the Basque attack will likely look to remain in the Primera.

Osasuna will not be wanting to deal one of their prized players, but after Athletic negotiating the transfer of Kike Sola last summer, relations between the two clubs are fairly respectable.

Comentario

FIFA to investigate Real Madrid and Atletico over youth transfers

After it was announced that FIFA had launched sanctions against FC Barcelona and the Real Federación Española de Fútbol (RFEF), for breaching international transfer and registration regulations, for players under 18 years of age, it is being reported that world football’s governing body will investigate Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid as well.

According to Spanish sports daily, AS, FIFA are investigating the two clubs bringing in and signing underage players without meeting the requirements specified by FIFA.

There are three main points of concern that FIFA is investigating in regards to these international players.

1. If the family of the player changes homes to the city where the club is located, that it not be specifically for football reasons.

2. If the player is moved from another location within the European Union, that they be at least 16 years old.

3. If the player lives within 50 kilometres of the border of another FIFA federation, that the club he signs for is at least the same distance.

According to AS, Atletico Madrid are already aware that they are being investigated for these reasons.

Comentario

Real Madrid reportedly in talks with Sevilla’s Ivan Rakitic

Real Madrid are reportedly in talks with the representative of Sevilla captain, Ivan Rakitic over a possible summer transfer to the Santiago Bernabeu.

According to Spanish radio station, Cadena COPE’s ‘Tiempo de Juego’, Dejan Rakitic, the brother and representative of Sevilla’s Croatian international midfielder, Ivan Rakitic, has been in talks with Real Madrid’s managing director, José Ángel Sánchez over a possible summer move, as the 26-year-old would like to play at the Bernabeu next season.

However, Atletico Madrid have also come on strong in their attempts to sign the player, but Rakitic prefers to play for Real Madrid.

Yet, Rakitic and Sevilla continue to try to work out an acceptable contract renewal, as the player has expressed his desire to stay, which would keep their captain at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan for the forseeable future.

Although, it may depend on not only money, but possible Champions League play in the near to immediate future.

Comentario

7 offers submitted in first phase of Valencia sale

Yesterday was a hectic day in the city of Valencia with the deadline for submitting an offer for one of Spain’s and Europe’s biggest clubs. Hans Kristian Lange keeps us up to date with the latest news and information, about the bids and the bidders, as the sale process continues to gather pace.

As the clock slowly ticked against 4pm local time, the leaks had already started reaching us who are following the process closely. In the days leading up to the opening of potential offers, there had been speculation both about who would offer, and how many offers there would actually be. Some even began to doubt there would be offers at all, causing further anxiousness with already disillusioned fans.

At about 6.30 pm Fundación removed all doubt about the number of offers, and we could breath out and hear that 7 parties had submitted papers in accordance with the basic requirements. Already at 3:30 we knew about 4 of them, all coming at the hand of KPMG, the consultancy working for Bankia, who were the first to leak. Then around 5:30 it was known that PwC had also brought in two further offers. It was however a surprise that the seventh bid arrived, from a surprise contender.

The bids would include a lot of information, however number wise it comes down to bail out Fundacións 90 million euro loan, buying Valencia CF’s debt of about 230 million euros, finshing the new stadium, payback of the 22 million euro paid by IVF (Generalitat Valenciana) and a transfer kitty.

Based on the information which has reached me, the 7 bids are as follows:

GEM – Global Emerging Markets (US)

An American investment fund who have previously offered 49 million euros for 51% of the shares at Valencia. Formerly they have had discussions with ex-president Manuel Llorente. Their plan is to refinance Valencia’s debt long term. It is leaked that they would spend 50 million euros in transfers and create an American affiliate in the Metro Soccer League.

Cerberus Capital Management (US)

Another American investment fund, often looked upon as Bankia’s go-to fund when they are selling of indebted assets. Represented in Spain by José Maria Aznar Junior, they have been in the process for a long time, ever since Goldman Sachs proposed them as a potential interest to Bankia.

Unique Premier 54 Limited (UK)

This is said to be a consortium with participants from three countries; Bahrain, UAE and Saudi Arabia, but the main interest would lie with the latter. The bid is managed from the UK through their London office. They count on the collaboration of Arena, one of the world’s big construction companies to finish the stadium. Valencian business men Carlos Martinez de Coca and Manuel Garcia Montes are named as the local representatives. One of two favourites.

It is thought that this bidder has put conditions in the offer, wanting another due diligence. The offer is guaranteed by the world’s biggest company, the Saudi petroleum giant Saudi Aramco. It is claimed they have a 100 million transfer kitty.

Zolotaya Zvezda – Gold Star (RUS)

The bid is represented by Russian national Mikhail Bosco who resides in the village of Altea outside Benidorm, Spain. The company itself is a gas trading company and has the support of Russian bank Olmo. Rumours would have it that ex-Barcelona president Joan Laporta has somehow been involved in the bid.

Bosco is mainly known to be in the real estate and construction business and has several pieces of business in the region. Bosco is also said to have met with politician Alfonso Rus who is a long time aspirant to the Valencia presidential throne.

Peter Lim (SG)

The business man from Singapore who everyone thought had withdrawn from the process, still submitted an offer, through PwC. Most likely, the offer is about what Amadeo Salvo characterized as one of the 5 biggest in world history for a football club. He is also known to have ties with “superagent” Jorge Mendes with whom he in January bought the two Benfica players Rodrigo and Andre Gomes for 45 million euro.

Wang Jianlin/Wanda (CHINA)

Now this one, despite rumours, was a surprise. Zas to me, who criticized a Swedish commentator who said the Chinese business man was interested. He is the richest man of mainland China, among other possessions, owning American media outlet AMC. Jianlin also recently acquired the Edificio España in central Madrid, one of the capital’s landmark buildings, for 260 million euros. Jianlin has had ties to Valencia, ever since Manuel Llorente secured a deal to allow Chinese youngsters to develop at the club’s youth teams. He also has similar ties to Villarreal and Atletico Madrid. Estimated fortune? 16.630 million euros….

The Seventh Mystery

Although many have now called it for Mario Alvarado, there is still speculation it may instead be a second Arab bid, brought by Sempre Valencia, a group formerly led by ex-player and director Fernando Gomez Colomer. The alternative story with the Costa Rican business man who at least a couple of times have tried to offer for the club is probably the least enthusing of all potential offers, and to be honest; it sparks doubts with me as to whether the first cut was deep enough. Alvarado has spent two years living at a luxury hotel in Las Arenas, with which he at one point were in arguments with over lack of payment.

There will now be a process of validating and evaluating the offers that will last a maximum of 3 weeks. There is already speculation that as much as 4 bids were found insufficient yesterday. However, there is a short time limit to provide some additional information the 3rd of April at 12 noon.

Comentario

Dinamo Zagreb manager Zoran Mamic has insisted that Alen Halilovic will still be joining Barcelona at the end of the season.

Barcelona have been hit with a 14-month transfer ban by FIFA after it was deemed that they had breached rules relating to the ‘international transfers of non-Spanish minors".

They will appeal the decision but at the moment Barca are facing the prospect of not being able to sign any players in the next two transfer windows.

The news has cast doubt over Halilovic’s future, after Barca agreed a deal with Dinamo Zagreb last month to bring in the Croatian teenager this summer.

Reports on Thursday suggested that Manchester City and Manchester United were among a host of high-profile clubs to have been put on alert by the possibility availability of a 17-year-old dubbed the ‘new Lionel Messi’ in some quarters.

However, Dinamo’s manager Mamic, who is also the club’s director of sport, has already discussed the issue with Barca and says the move is still on.

“I called the Barcelona board and got an assurance that the sentence does not affect the transfer of Alen Halilovic,” Mamic told Sportske novosti.

“Everything is fine, there is no need for speculation. Alen will move to Barcelona after this season, that is for sure.

“The contract is signed and you can be sure that nothing unusual will happen.”

Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen is another player who had been expected to join Barcelona at the end of the season until the transfer ban was imposed.

Ter Stegen has made it clear that he still plans to leave Monchengladbach, and reports in Spain suggest that Arsenal and Manchester City could now make a move.

Comentario

Adaptable footer

Colapsar
                                Espere un momento...
                                X