Colapsar
X
  • Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

Re: La Liga

Bale: There’s a lot of expectation here, we’re the biggest club in the world

Real Madrid attacking midfielder, Gareth Bale recently spoke about this first six months at the Santiago Bernabeu and the immense pressure that comes with playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

In an interview with UEFA.com, Bale spoke about the expectations at Real Madrid to win ‘La Decima (10th European trophy)’ and the memories he has of watching the 2002 Champions League final between Real Madrid and Bayer Leverkusen, Real Madrid’s last Champions League title.

“There is a lot of expectation here, we’re the biggest club in the world, we want to win every game and there’s an expectation for us to win every game but it’s one that we all like.

“We are all winners and we want to win every trophy we’re playing in. I don’t think weve lost yet [in the Champions League], obviously we can still get better and that’s the plan, we’ll just take one step at a time and hopefully we can win the Champions League.

“I used to try and watch as much football as I could when I was younger, I think my first real memory was actually watching Real Madrid in the final I think it was at Hampden Park at the time when Zidane scored that unbelievable volley and they won the Champions Leeague. That was my first proper memory and obviously a good one.”

Bale went on to recall his second-half hat-trick against Inter Milan in 2010, which made him a household name

“I remember being 4-0 down and down to 10 men at half-time thinking the worst, thinking maybe [the game would finish] 7-0, 8-0 or 9-0. I remember the half-time team talk that Harry Redknapp gave, saying just to go out there and try to show your character and try and salvage the game a little bit. It was a bit of a surreal second half and one I will never forget, a special moment for me.”

Bale concluded by discussing the surreal experience it is to have his former Spurs teammate, Luka Modric alongside him, in the Champions League, with Real Madrid and his overall experience with the club.

“It was quite surreal, me and Luka are here now, we were both playing on that night and to be playing for Real Madrid now is a dream come true and one I’m enjoying every minute of it.

“I’m enjoying it very much, there are things that are a lot different from the UK, but I’m enjoying myself thoroughly, the Spanish is coming along slowly but surely. I just need to keep working hard and try to learn the language as much as I can.”

Comentario

Manchester City reportedly plotting summer move for Isco

Real Madrid midfielder, Isco has always been the apple of Manuel Pellegrini’s eye and the Chilean was disappointed that the former Golden Boy didn’t following him to England when they both left Malaga this past summer, but Pellegrini is planning a second attempt at recovering the 22-year-old, after Isco has failed to see sufficient minutes under Carlo Ancelotti.

According to Spanish sports daily, Marca, Manchester City directors, Txiki Begiristain and Ferrán Soriano are still keen to bring Isco to the Etihad, but due to the cordial relationship between City and Real Madrid, will not attempt to bid on the Spanish U-21 Euro champion, but would only begin negotiations if Isco himself instigated them.

Pellegrini, however, has not forgotten Isco and while he is disappointed the midfielder joined Real Madrid last summer and even more so that he isn’t getting his due playing time, he still holds out hope that Isco could eventually find his way to England.

“I would have liked to have him. It would have been very important for him.”

However, while Manchester City are lamenting the fact that they let such a promising young talent slip away, AC Milan are also reportedly interested in making a bid for the Andalusian, as they attempt to rebuild their squad under the direction of new manager, Clarence Seedorf.

Comentario

Atletico Madrid could announce Etihad Airways as new stadium sponsor this year

Atletico Madrid may have already decided on the company who will purchase the naming rights to their new Peineta stadium, with Etihad Airways being the leading candidate, having offered a 1o-year €155 million deal.

According to Euromericas Sports Marketing, Atletico Madrid had three offers on the table, but Etihad Airways proved to be the most lucrative option for the team’s move to the new stadium ahead of the 2015-16 season, but the deal could be announced sometime in 2014.

According to the report, while the only announcement in regards to the stadium has been the agreement with Centerplate ISG for the balconies and the VIP boxes, the deal with Eithad is in the final stages, however, the issue is with the payments.

Atletico Madrid would like 60% of the €155 million (€93 million) to be paid upfront and the remaining 40% to be paid throughout the 10 years, while the airline wants to pay in yearly installments (€15.5 million annually).

Etihad are likely to agree with Atletico’s proposal, but will require a massive advertising campaign featuring Diego Simeone and the taxes be paid by Atletico for the massive €93 million lump sum.

Comentario

Luka Modric: Real Madrid midfielder outshining the rest

If you were to survey followers of Spanish football on their player of the season so far, there is a good chance they would vote overwhelmingly in favour of one name.

Not Ronaldo, Messi, Bale or Neymar but Luka Modric.

Pose the same question 12 months previously and Modric would not even be in with a whisper.

Modric on Bale
          "Gareth is a a great player. He has everything necessary to be one of the best players in the world. It's all on him if he will reach that level. Today, Ronaldo is the best player. It's really difficult to reach his level, but Gareth has all the qualities. He is strong, powerful, quick and he has improved his shooting a lot."

Recruited by Real Madrid from Tottenham Hotspur for £33m in August 2012, the Croatia midfielder was in danger of being harshly written off as a high-profile, big-money flop.

Appearances were irregular under Jose Mourinho and some Real fans wanted him sold, with readers of the newspaper Marca voting Modric the worst signing of the year.

Fast forward to the present day and he is indispensable to Carlo Ancelotti, the hard-to-please Bernabeu crowd are chanting his name - they want Modric to wear the prestigious number 10 shirt instead of 19 - and the queue of suitors is growing. They could be waiting a long time.

Many, including former Real sporting director Predrag Mijatovic, believe the 28-year-old is now on a par with Cristiano Ronaldo as the club's most important player.

"I never considered leaving Real Madrid or that it was a mistake to come here," Modric, with a look of unbreakable self-belief, tells BBC Sport. "It was my dream come true when I signed for Real Madrid. I want to stay here for as many years as possible and, if it's possible, finish my career here.

"I really enjoy my life in Spain. Madrid is a big and beautiful city with great parks where I like to walk. There are a lot of squares and museums, historic monuments. But I'm more a home guy, I feel most comfortable there with my wife and kids. We play, watch cartoons, like all families do."

Modric has never been one to court publicity - "I don't like to speak much, I rather speak on the field; apart from Real Madrid TV this is my first big interview" - but when we meet at the club's Valdebebas training complex he could hardly be more relaxed and welcoming.

Modric on La Liga title race
          "It's good for the championship that more teams are involved for the title. Atletico Madrid are having a great season. Everyone is expecting them to fall down but they keep going. There are still a lot of games until the end and we have to continue playing like we're playing at the moment. It will be interesting. I think this March will be crucial for La Liga. It's always nice to have more teams fighting for titles."

His ripped jeans, shaggy hair and cheeky smile reflect a laid-back, unpretentious, likeable character who is quiet yet bubbly, private yet warm; a gentle Galactico with a kind, conscientious, intelligent personality that endears him to family, friends and the public alike

But underneath lies an unmistakeable sense of grit and determination, a fierce desire to confound and triumph, all of which stems from a life of hurdles and challenges.

Modric was aged just six when his family were forced to flee their home in war-torn Croatia in 1991, moving into an army-owned hotel in the coastal city of Zadar. His father joined the military and his grandfather was killed. Money and food were in short supply.

With grenades falling on the local football pitches, Modric honed his skills in the hotel parking lot and there began his journey to the top, starting at NK Zadar and moving on to Dinamo Zagreb via loan spells with Zrinjski Mostar in Bosnia and Inter Zapresic back in Croatia.

His progress at Dinamo preceded a £16.5m transfer to Tottenham in 2008, although injuries and questions about his physical stature had to be overcome before he really began to shine.

"I have great memories of Tottenham," he says. "I spent four great years there with a lot of emotions, with a lot of love from the club and the fans. I enjoyed every moment with Tottenham. But in one moment you feel you need to take a step forward, to go to a higher level.

"I think it was the right time for me to go, but I will always be thankful to Tottenham for everything they did for me. I became a better player there and they pushed me to this level where I am at the moment. I will always be a fan, I follow them a lot when I can."

Luka Modric frustrated whilst playing for Real Madrid "I knew sooner or later I would show my quality and show to everyone why I'm here," says Luka Modric of his difficult start to life at the Bernabeu

Modric politely asks if we can avoid discussing memories of his youth, but the emotion is still evident when he explains what it means to represent Real Madrid.

"I think 'unique' is the best word to describe your feelings to play for such a special club," he says. "From the first moment I arrived here - my presentation walking into the trophy hall at the Bernabeu and seeing trophies and pictures of the legends of Real Madrid, it showed me where I've come.

"I feel so proud of where I've come. All I dreamed of when I became a footballer was to play for a club as big as Real Madrid. It's maybe the most famous and best club in the history of football."

Not a bad move, then, for a 5ft 9ins midfielder who it was claimed during his time in the Premier League might be too "lightweight" to become one of the very best.

"People like to judge and make their own conclusions," Modric says. "I never cared what other people were saying about me - I had my aims, I believed in myself and never stopped. I've been through many difficulties in my life, but all these things made me a stronger and better person.

"All these critics push you forward to show people they are wrong. Maybe I look lightweight but I am a really strong person mentally and physically, and I never had any problems with my size."

This is a point illustrated by the fact Modric has made more tackles (56) than any other Real Madrid player in La Liga this season and his average number of tackles per league game (2.86) is currently higher than he recorded at the end of any campaign since leaving Dinamo.

And it is not only his tackling that has improved; since Ancelotti succeeded Mourinho as head coach last summer, Modric has developed a formidable central midfield partnership with Xabi Alonso and Angel di Maria, statistically improving virtually every facet of his game in the process.

Most notable is his passing, with the 878 Modric has completed in the opposition half of the pitch in La Liga easily the highest of any Real player (Di Maria is next with 650).

Luka Modric
          •Born: 9 September 1985, Zadar
          •Dinamo Zagreb: 2003-2008 (114 appearances, 31 goals)
          •Zrinjsku (loan): 2003-2004 (22 appearances, eight goals)
          •Inter Zapresic (loan): 2004-2005 (18 appearances, four goals)
          •Tottenham: 2008-2012 (161 appearances, 17 goals)
          •Real Madrid: 2012-present day (74 appearances, 6 goals)
          •Croatia caps: (72 appearances, 8 goals)

His passing accuracy in the league (90%) is the highest it has been since leaving Dinamo and the highest of any midfielder in Europe's top five leagues who have five or more assists this season. Modric's six assists already equals his highest for a league campaign since leaving Dinamo.

"I had some difficulties at the beginning," he admits. "I didn't have a complete pre-season - I trained on my own in London, I came later here and you need time for everything to get settled.

"That [Marca survey] didn't affect me at all. I knew sooner or later I would show my quality and show to everyone why I'm here, why Real made such an effort to bring me here.

"I had a lot of support from the ex-coach [Mourinho] - he did everything to bring me here and I'm grateful for that. At the beginning he was very helpful to ease my adaptation. By the time I was fit enough I started playing better and better. His tactics were never a problem for me."

If one moment of Modric's Real Madrid career to date resonates above all others, it must be his display after coming off the bench at Manchester United in the Champions League last 16.

"When I came on I changed the game, I scored that goal and after we scored another to win 2-1," he recalls. "That was the turning point for me and my career at Real Madrid. From that game, people started seeing why I'm here and my career at Real Madrid was all the time going up.

La Liga or Premier League?
          "I think both leagues are great. For me, maybe Spain is more technical and the Premier League is more fast and furious. From the beginning to the end of the game, the rhythm is really high, it's up and down and very quick and aggressive football.

"In La Liga it's more technical, but I heard a lot of stories that you have a lot of space, you can play easily - but it's not the case. There is not much space, especially when you are playing away from home and you have to be also strong not only technically but physically to play good in La Liga. It's not an easy league. But for me they are both quality, I can't say one or the other is better."

"I have big trust and big confidence from the coach [Ancelotti]. From the beginning he was clear with what he wanted from me and how important I am for the team. That helped me a lot and I could show my quality on the pitch.

"Last season I played some good games but our results were not following and that's why maybe people didn't appreciate my performance. This season, I am at the peak of my game and we have good results. We are fighting for all three trophies and I feel really, really good."

Real are level on points with Barcelona and Atletico Madrid at the top of La Liga, will face Barcelona in the Copa del Rey final after becoming the first team in history to get there without conceding a goal, and face Schalke in the Champions League last 16.

Modric feels his team have the quality to win all three trophies but makes special mention of the Champions League - Real are desperately chasing 'La Decima', a 10th European Cup - and he is also itching to end the wait for a first major trophy of his career.

Not that the hard work would stop there.

"I'm living a very special time at the moment but this will only push me to give more, to not relax," he says. "Because this is the club where you can't relax. What was yesterday does not work for tomorrow, always you have to improve yourself because the crowd and the club are so demanding.

"I don't think any club is like here. They ask so much from you and that forces you to always be at the top of your game. The pressure is huge here. But I've never had a problem with pressure, I like pressure, pressure pushes me to be better."

Comentario

Arsenal reportedly preparing £30 million bid for Isco

Arsenal are reportedly preparing a massive £30 million for Real Madrid youngster, Isco, who has become an unused substitute since his summer move to the Santiago Bernabeu.

According to English newspaper, Metro, Isco is said to be looking at his options at the end of the season after failing to find a consistent role with the squad under new manager, Carlo Ancelotti and while Manchester City appear to be leading the race, Arsenal have emerged as a potential contender as Arsene Wenger looks to splash the cash and add to his growing youth movement.

Isco chose to join Real Madrid over Manchester City, much to the disappointment of his former Malaga manager and current City boss, Manuel Pellegrini, but after going from breakout star to a bit player in Madrid, it is suggested that Isco may request a transfer.

Isco was one of the hottest prospects last summer, and is looking to be one of biggest transfer targets again in 2014.

Comentario

Jordi Roura to leave Barcelona at the end of the season

Jordi Roura, who was assistant manager to Tito Vilanova and took his place when the former manager fell ill with cancer, will leave the coaching staff at the end of the season, after being moved down the pecking order under new manager, Tata Martino.

According to Spanish sports daily, AS, Roura has already made the decision with the agreement of the directors and the technical staff, after being a bridge of transition between the old regime and the new one.

It is unclear at this point if Barcelona will provide Roura with a different within the club or if Roura will attempt to find head coaching position elsewhere.

It is also unclear what the future holds for Aureli Altimira, Tito Vilanova’s third coach and this season’s new addition, former Girona coach, Rubi, who joined Vilanova’s staff just before he resigned.

As for current manager, Tata Martino, reports continue to suggest that the club may offer him a contract extension, even if they don’t win anything this season.

Comentario

Barca reportedly set to pay €9 million in ‘Neymar-gate’ case

Barcelona will reportedly pay €9 million in back taxes owed to the Spanish government from the summer transfer of Neymar from Santos to the Catalan giants in order to avoid potential fines and sanctions, after High Court Judge Ruz opened an investigation into tax fraud last week.

According to Spanish newspaper, La Vanguardia, the Barcelona board will approve the voluntary €9 million payment to Spain’s Inland Revenue Department and will use Spain’s complementary tax return method, as stated in the report, “that means paid outside the stipulated time frame. It would exonerate them from penal responsibilities without accepting the charges,” which Barcelona are hoping will cover all residual debts owed to the tax authority.

Barcelona are facing economic sanctions for up to six times the amount owed if found guilty of tax fraud by Judge Ruz and are hoping this voluntary payment satisfies their debt and are able to avoid the devastating sanctions

Comentario

Following continued lawsuits over misappropriation of funds and now tax evasion, Barcelona has released a statement, demonstrating that they have paid over €13.5 million in taxes to the Spanish Tax Authority over the transfer of Neymar and are in full compliance with the law.

In the statement released on the club’s official website on Monday afternoon, Barcelona denies any wrong doing and thoroughly explains all details, including the full amount the club paid in taxes over the Neymar transfer, to the tune of €13,550,830,56 to avoid any potential tax liability from their outstanding debts.

Following the opening of legal proceedings for alleged tax irregularities relating to the different payments made during the signing of the player Neymar da Silva Santos Jr, the Futbol Club Barcelona Board of Directors has met at the Club offices and unanimously reached the following agreements:

1.- The Board denies the existence of any tax related crime in relation to the fiscal obligations arising from the signing of the player. Throughout the process, the Club was receiving expert advice and at every moment the Club’s auditor was informed and had access to all the documentation concerning the negotiations.

2.- As we have done so far, the Club will continue to give maximum collaboration to the Law Courts in order to clarify the facts of the case.

3.- The Club will present a legal defence in the case opened against it and members can be assured that the Club has always acted within the law and that the Board will defend the Club’s reputation – one of the most emblematic in our country – until the final consequences and in whatever legal context required.

4.- We wish to make clear that FC Barcelona has always fulfilled its tax obligations, both in terms of time and method, and has enjoyed close collaboration with the Spanish Tax Authorities. FC Barcelona has no tax debts.

5.- The Board again insists that in relation to this signing, the Club has scrupulously fulfilled its fiscal obligations in line with its awareness at the time of the contracts and agreements signed in good faith.

6.- Given the existence of a possible divergent interpretation of the exact amount of tax responsibility arising from the signing and to defend the Club’s reputation and good name, FC Barcelona has this morning made a complementary tax declaration of a total of 13,550,830,56 Euros (thirteen million, five hundred and fifty thousand, eight hundred and thirty Euros and fifty-six cents) to cover any potential interpretation made concerning the contracts signed in the transfer process for Neymar, although we remain convinced that the original tax payment was in line with our fiscal obligations.

7.- This voluntary contribution should not be understood as in any way affecting the Club’s right to have its tax obligations in this matter determined by the competent authorities, concerning which the Club reserves the right to further action.

The Board of Directors will meet this evening as scheduled in an ordinary session and will deal with issues arising from this question, as well as others included in its agenda.

Comentario

Le Monde found guilty of damaging the image of Barcelona and Real Madrid, ordered to pay reparations

Spain’s Supreme Court has found French newspaper, Le Monde guilty of damaging the image of both Barcelona and Real Madrid after publishing a report linking the two clubs to infamous Operation Porto doctor, Eufemiano Fuentes.

LeMonde2The article in question was published in 7th December, 2006 under the title “Le Real Madrid et le Barça liés au docteur Fuentes” and associated Fuentes with the two clubs, leading Real Madrid to immediately file a lawsuit against Le Monde, protecting it’s image from the damaging content.

After being found guilty, Le Monde were ordered by the Spanish Supreme Court to pay Real Madrid a total of €300,000, while they are only required to pay Barça a some of €15,000.

The great disparity in the amounts the newspaper is required to pay is due to the fact that Barcelona file a lawsuit against the newspaper, as Real Madrid in 2007, but are still the beneficiaries of reparations because they were the subject of the damaging article.

Comentario

The future of Valencia now one step closer

It is like a season or two of the Netflix hit House of Cards. You can see the different powerhouses fight for control, using their networks to the largest extent possible to control, manipulate, turn and threaten each other. It is as cynical as it is fascinating when such strong figures go up against each other to defend their interests.

Weeks have passed since the last progress was made with regards to the sale of Valencia. We have told the story of how the 4 directly involved parties have approached the sale and how they have tried to ensure their influence and relevance in the process. We predicted that Generalitat Valenciana was positioning themselves to ensure a smooth process, to control Fundación. At the same time the political risk is very high for the ruling party as Salvo has achieved a high regard among fans. If he stepped away from the process, it could be seen as yet another wrong doing by voters. So, even though GV were positioning themselves in case it would be necessary, their desire all along has been to get the 4 parties to cooperate.

Despite agreement was reported after Aurelio Martinez’ proposal at the previous Fundación meeting, it turned out that Amadeo Salvo’s opposition to the plan was still very much a block to continue proceedings. Since the club controls the rights to the due diligence data which is due to be shared with prospective buyers, it left him one last leverage. One which he has used to its full worth the last few days, refusing to share the data.

That prompted another reaction from Generalitat Valenciana who has forced an agreement, now signed between the parties, where the club has been given a voice and vote when the desicion is due. It is said that Bankia requested GV to also have a vote in a bid to ensure that Salvo could not once again halt the process. In reality it is just as likely that this was something GV themselves asked for, or better put, somehing they gave themselves.

The sale will thus be decided between the 4 votes of GV, Bankia, Fundacion and Valencia, in practical terms meaning GV controls 3 out of 4 votes directly or indirectly. The steps which they would have to take to have actual control of those 3 though, might be to steep as it would require the direct involvement they have sought to avoid. Make no mistake though, they are ready to do what ever it takes.

An example of who really pulls the ropes we saw only last week when several GV council members were confirned for Fundacion and at the same time, they were also asking around with the other council members whether they would support over throwing Amadeo Salvo as president. The guillotine was readied, and remain ready.

Now the parties have agreed how the process as a whole should be carried through and thus also established new timelines. 24th of March seems now to be the deadline for submitting binding offers, with a view to a desicion some three weeks later. This means the finalization of the overall process might prolong until easter.

It is unlikely GV and Bankia will tolerate any further delays caused by Amadeo Salvo and the club, but it also feels unlikely that a month and a half will pass without issues. The process is now getting to a point where potential buyers might be scared of by the sheer political risk, as well as the continuously increasing risk. One vendor has already warned Bankia that they might withdraw if process is not established and kept to.

I am pretty sure many hoped Amadeo Salvo would continue in the club after it was sold. After the results he and his team has achieved the last months, that is understandable. It is also pure wishful thinking. By positioning himself as he has, and especially by holding the rally at Mestalla, he has made himself expendable and undesirable. If he hasn’t received the “kiss of death” yet, it is only because it is not beneficial at the current point of time. A president antagonizing all the main stakeholders in the club’s circle of interest has will face difficulties getting acceptance to continue in the future.

Comentario

Izquierdo: Why did Barcelona pay? So Bartomeu and Faus could no longer be charged

Felipe Izquierdo, the lawyer for Barcelona member Jordi Cases, feels it’s cowardly of Barcelona to publicly blame his client for the club having to voluntarily pay €13.5 million to the Spanish tax authority over the Neymar transfer.

Cases was the one who originally brought a lawsuit against the club over misappropriation of funds, which later led to the club revealing a detailed breakdown of the numbers and having to pay the Spanish tax authority an additional €13.5 million more than they already had, with Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu implying that all of this was on Cases’ shoulders.

In an interview with Catalan radio’s, ‘La Xarxa’ programme, Izquierdo went on the defensive, defending his client against “cowardly” comments made by the Barcelona president.

“We were calm, but after yesterday’s press conference, we’re a little angry. If Barcelona hadn’t dismissed Cases, none of this would have happened and it would’ve been over.

“They say Barcelona has no tax liability, but yet they pay €13.5 million to the Spanish tax authority. That’s not how things are done, if they didn’t need to pay this amount, they wouldn’t have.”

Izquierdo then revealed the true reason Barcelona paid the staggering amount.

“Why did the club pay? Because once the payment has been made, Bartomeu and Faus will no long be charged.”

Comentario

The future’s bright, the future’s orange

Valencia are widely regarded as the 3rd biggest team in Spain. At the beginning of the century they appeared in two Champions League finals, losing both to Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. The season’s of 2001-02 and 2003-04 culminated in Valencia winning two La Liga titles. With the speed and flair of Kily Gonzalez, the all-round midfield abilities of Ruben Baraja and the leadership of Roberto Ayala at the back, it is easy to comprehend why they won the league.

That is all in the past and now, sadly, Valencia look a shadow of the shadow of their former self. Last season after they failed to finish in that 4th spot after a brilliant campaign from Real Sociedad, many people might have feared that Valencia will never be back in the big-time. Apart from Unai Emery, who was treated abysmally at the end of his reign in Valencia (apparently 3rd place wasnt good enough!), many people would have been deeply concerned about Valenica.

Without the departures of Roberto Soldado and Tino Costa, they had even more reason to exercise their sadness. Miruslav Djukic was made manager in the summer and that didn’t turn out very well. After defeats in September to Real Betis and Swansea, many of the fans were not happy. By the 16th of December, he was sacked. Another former player, Juan Antonio Pizzi, was given the job. Hoping to emulate other successful South American managers such as Manuel Pellegrini and Cholo (Diego Simeone), Pizzi was determined to succeed.

One day shy of being there 2 months, Pizzi has done quite a good job. Although he is 12 points off the Champions League places, a 3-2 win away at Barcelona and the 5-0 demolition of Real Betis have showcased his managerial ability. After an away game to struggling side Rayo, Valencia play the 3 teams who are vying for that Champions League spot in a row: Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad and Villarreal. Victory in all 4 of those games will see Valencia close the gap and could give them momentum to go for that Champions League spot. Right now, many suspect that Valencia will settle for a Europa League spot. With the 7th place going into the Europa League this season, Valencia are already there.

Although the all-round team has not been good enough, there has been some individual performances which have really excited the Valencia aficionados. Paco Alcacer has scored 4 goals in his last 4 league games, including the winner at Barcelona. The 20 year old has shown real promise and his club are trying to nurture him properly. Valencia have a knack at developing players in recent years. Juan Mata, Jordi Alba, David Silva and Roberto Soldado anyone?

Another couple of players that have caught the eye are Fede and Juan Bernat. Fede has shown real promise in midfield, whether it be linking with Alcacer up-front, Feghouli in midfield, or his general dribbling ability and pace. His tenacity has seen him develop into a really important player. Juan Bernat is another player that has developed in recent months. Bernat is a very adventurous left-back who also has great dribbling ability. He knows where the goal is and can put in a decent cross.

With these 3 players all being under the age of 22, Pizzi will be very excited knowing that he can develop them, or, if they become good enough, Valencia can gain a substantial profit from selling them to the Premier League as they did with Soldado, Silva, Mata etc.

Valencia also have a further 2 players away on loan who also have a lot of potential. Jonathan Viera and Carles Gil who play at Rayo Vallecano and Elche respectively. Both players have had good seasons, even though their teams might have struggled a little. Rayo much more so than Elche.

For the 2014-15 season, Valencia have already bought Nicolás Otamendi. The Argentinian defender was subject to a lot of interest from Manchester City towards the end of the transfer window and Valencia will see this 12 million euro signing as a real coup.

With only 9 Spanish players in their squad, Valencia seem to be the team for foreign players to play and young Spaniards to develop.

If Pizzi can get his Valencia team to play at the potential that everyone knows they can and makes several good signings in the summer, next year could be the year they challenge for qualification for the Champions League again. The future’s bright, the future’s orange.

Comentario

Andres Iniesta wants Carles Puyol to stay at Barcelona

Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta is hoping speculation that team-mate Carles Puyol could call time on his Nou Camp career at the end of the season is well wide of the mark.

Puyol has spent his entire career at Barca, helping the Catalan giants win numerous trophies during his 15 years in the first team, but it has been suggested in the Spanish media that the 35-year-old club captain is considering leaving the club, with injuries limiting him to just four league appearances this campaign.

Iniesta, who has spent over a decade playing alongside Puyol at Barca, said at a promotional event: "I hope and wish that this isn't Puyol's last season with the team.

"I would like to have him in the dressing room for a very long time."

Iniesta also insisted the players are behind Barca coach Gerardo Martino "to the death".

Martino found himself under fire in the press in the wake of Saturday's 3-1 defeat at Real Sociedad - a loss that cost Barca top spot in the Primera Division standings to Real Madrid - but Iniesta said: "It was a tough defeat, but we are only a game away from being leaders and we must still play against Atletico and Madrid.

"The players are with the coach to the death. There's no doubts towards the coach.

"At the end of the day, we are all responsible. When you win and when you lose, it's the footballers who play. The coach trusts in the squad to win."
                            Editado por última vez por Verdiblanco de Holanda; https://www.betisweb.com/foro/member/13151-verdiblanco-de-holanda en 26/02/14, 07:58:58.

Comentario

Barcelona have reportedly drawn up a short list of possible candidates to replace current manager, Tata Martino, should the Argentine leave the Catalan capital this summer.

According to Barcelona-based sports daily, Sport, Barcelona have gathered a five-man list of candidates; Celta Vigo manager, Luis Enrique, Athletic Bilbao manager Ernesto Valverde, former Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas, Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp and Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone.

The first three candidates; Enrique, Valverde and Villas-Boas are all candidates that Barcelona see in the same mold of former manager, Pep Guardiola and will continue with the Blaugrana’s trademark ‘tiki-taka’ style.

While Klopp and Simeone are seen as candidates, who have reached great heights in their managerial careers, but will completely change the way Barcelona plays and break further away from the tiki-taka possession style.

While Barcelona have insisted that they are happy with the job Martino has done this season and would like to negotiate a contract extension, rumours about the Argentine’s possible departure this summer continue to persist, further adding to the speculation that the club will have a fourth manager in four years.

Comentario

Barcelona's La Liga title challenge took a blow on Saturday when the Catalan giants suffered a surprise 3-1 defeat at Real Sociedad, allowing Real Madrid to open up a three-point lead at the top of the table.

Lionel Messi's goal in that loss was his 229th La Liga goal, the third highest total in La Liga history, however Terry Gibson told Revista the Argentina ace is not having his usual impact on games at the moment.

"He was in the peripheral of things in that game and not participating," said Gibson.

"There were a lot of times when the midfield players were looking up to play that penetrative pass to the forwards but he was not moving - he was walking around a lot more than we have seen him do.

"Maybe you could say that Messi could do more to help the team and he could work harder, but that is not what he has trained to be."
                                "Is he irritated by Neymar? The new manager? The style of play? Is he over his injury? I don't know but he is not the same Messi we have seen over the last few seasons.

"However, saying that, it was his fifth consecutive game where he has scored a goal and I have to be careful not to criticise him too much.

"But I am getting frustrated - I think we should be seeing a more dynamic performance from Messi at the moment."

Team dynamics

Guillem Balague says that Messi may not be running as much as he used to but we should not be focussing on just one player.

"The stats show that he is still scoring - that does not mean he is involved more or less with the game but it does show that he is still giving what the team needs," he said.

"He probably does not run as much as he used too - 8kms now compared to maybe 10kms in the past. But the team does not help him - to focus so much on one player has distracted the attention from the rest of the team.

"The fact is the wide players do not stay wide; the fullbacks do not go forward often and the midfielders do not get into the box as often as they should. There is not much running from Barcelona with or without the ball at the moment."

Graham Hunter agreed: "The shape of the team around Messi has changed and the work rate around him has changed.

"Maybe you could say that Messi could do more to help the team and he could work harder, but that is not what he has trained to be. He has been trained to be the killer, the assassin - the player who make the difference.

"I still think he is doing that and if there is a little more to come and he regains his match fitness, then in two or three games we won't be talking about him - but the problems in the team around him will remain."

Comentario

Adaptable footer

Colapsar
                                Espere un momento...
                                X